18 Oct 2013

DIARY: CHVRCHES LIVE AT SHEPHERDS BUSH EMPIRE






Yesterday evening was Round 5 for CHVRCHES, this time at the O2 Shepherds Bush Empire. The first full set I've been to since the release of their incredible album, it was so so enjoyable. Supported by Thumpers (who were pretty good themselves), we were treated to every single track off the LP plus "Now Is Not The Time" and "Strong Hand" – a total of 14 songs if I'm not mistaken. Sure I've seen them many times now, most recently at Boiler Room TV, but that also means I can really say they're getting better every time. Lauren's vocals were so on point last night, despite her being run down with the common cold (which only made the performance more impressive), the lightwork was brilliant, and sonically their set has never sounded fuller. Every punch and every beat felt so rich, and add to that their mastery of hooks and climaxes, I just can't get enough. Album tracks "Tether" and my personal favourite "Night Sky" are absolutely amazing songs live, the former I had never seen them play before. Two more dates I'm already scheduled to be at coming up next year, but for now I've had a filling dose of CHVRCHES' gigs and I've been nothing short of overjoyed every time. So much love for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment